Bucaneer Press

Changes on the Horizon for Wrestling Program as Coach Experiments with Training

2018+photo
Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 photo

2018 photo

2018 photo

2018 photo

Keaton Davenport, Staff Writer

Ahead of the start of the wrestling season, coach Curtis Roberts Jr and his assistant coach Curtis Roberts Sr, prepare their wrestlers and make vital changes to the program. This year, Roberts Jr has experimented with his program, altering the training regimen and the techniques for the wrestling team. The one-on-one nature of wrestling combined with the physicality of the sport makes it a very unique experience. Coach Roberts Sr believes this experience is beneficial for the students involved.

“As athletes, we are pushed beyond what we think is possible. The program emphasizes both mental and physical toughness.” The unique logistical aspects of wrestling also come into play.

“Wrestling is the only physical contact sport that is an individual contest. It is, however, a team sport also. We are taught that each of us should not simply strive to be the best wrestler but to be the best wrestler for the team.” said Roberts Sr.

Many of the returning wrestlers have seen the benefits of wrestling as well. Junior Caleb Edinger started wrestling in his sophomore year, and believes that he has benefited from the experience.

“Wrestling has improved my work ethic, and shown me what hard work can help you achieve.” said Edinger.

Freshman and newcomer to the wrestling program Dylan Wiley enjoys the physical benefits.

“The wrestling program workouts are definitely challenging, but they have helped me to improve my strength and conditioning a lot.” said Wiley

Roberts Jr and Sr have an 8th period wrestling class as well as after school workouts and starting in November, practices will be held after school. Schedules for the wrestling season are pending.

1 Comment

One Response to “Changes on the Horizon for Wrestling Program as Coach Experiments with Training”

1. Damion Estrada on October 8th, 2018 9:49 pm

Amazing article! Keep up the good work.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Sports

Tennis Season in full ‘Swing’

• Changes on the Horizon for Wrestling Program as Coach Experiments with Training

Sports

Buc Soccer Ends Season With Positive Outlook

Sports

Champion Lady Bucs Make Playoff Run

Sports

Training to Run

Sports

Running Down a Dream

News

Support Buc Soccer

Feature

Wrestling Continues to Bring Home Hardware

News

Lady Buc Soccer Off to a Great Start

• Sports

Wrestling Starts Strong

Sports

Lady Bucs Build Team Bond

The student news site of Brazoswood High School