Bucaneer Press

Students Embrace the Color Yellow

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Embrace the Color Yellow

Emily Mayer

Emily Mayer

Emily Mayer

Cydnie Armour, Staff Writer

The color yellow may just seem a color to those who did not know Ravenne Dodge, but Brazoswood High school has a different view of it now. Some think yellow is bright because it symbolizes the sun and think of it a happy color, some even say it represents clarity or positivity. Well, Ravenne was bright and we will wear her favorite color to show recognition and change the meaning of the color yellow.

¨I think the color yellow represents hope, forgiveness, love, and caring,¨ Senior Dawson Faller said.

Ravenne had an impact on many lives. Some students knew her to be upbeat and always trying to get someone to smile. Some knew her as the girl who would always speak positivity into negative situations, she also had great morals and a genuine personality.

¨I knew Ravenne, she was my best friend. She taught me good ethics on how to carry myself as a decent human,¨ Faller said.

Ravenne was also known for her kooky personality and uplifting attitude. She was involved in many activities and clubs like Belles, choir, cheerleading, and ASL. She was known to be busy and took leadership in whatever she did. Her passing really affected the belles.

¨Ravenne was not only a friend but she was family. Being a part of such a great organization like Belles, you grow to become sisters with everyone a part of the team. We’ve cried together, laughed together, screamed our lungs out singing and dancing… she was and always will be family,¨ Senior Kenzie Cisneros said.

Most teachers tend to get attached to their students because they become their temporary kids. A year goes by within a blink of an eye, but spending forty-five minutes, five days a week with them could feel like a lifetime. Teachers will start to learn about their students and their personality.

¨I knew Ravenne for over a year. She was a student in my English III PAP class year – third period with a lot of her good friends and a few fellow Belles.  

Anyone that knew Ravenne or had her in class knows that she was very loud and funny, always smiling. She was a shining light. She loved Jesus and music.  Her favorite band was Twenty One Pilots. We analyzed the song “Stressed Out” last year, and she could have taken over the lesson for me. She basically did actually.  Ravenne loved to joke and tease people that she cared about. I think that’s what I remember most about her from my class,¨ English teacher, Brandyn Hargrove said.

She absolutely loved the color yellow, this is what most people remembered her by.

¨Early in the year, Ravenne told us about how she was going to get yellow Croc rain boots. A boy from our class teased her about them all year, it became a running joke in our class,¨ Hargrove said.

Last Friday night, September 28th, Brazoswood had a football game and as tradition the Belles dance at half time to rally up the crowd. The Belles weren’t feeling in sport and didn´t dance.  

¨A day after we found out about her passing it was game day. We had to make the decision on on weather we were in the right state of mind to perform that night or not. We were not and came to the decision that we could not. For Alma Mater, we stood, held pinky´s and left her spot open where her boots and poms were placed. As we did the same thing for championship, we held hands, walked to center field and stood there as they finished playing the song. We then walked off the field in tears and hugged each other,¨ Cisneros said.

Pre- football game, a local flower shop donated about 50 balloons to the belles and cheerleaders. The Belles and cheerleading director Mrs. Barton thought it would be a good idea to do a balloon release and write notes to Ravenne.

¨Prior to loading the bus to head to the game, we gathered as a group, a former cheerleader said a few words about Ravenne, and then we released the balloons in her memory.  Someone said that we sent messages to her in heaven,¨ Hargrove said.

Sometimes things happen in our lives that are completely unexplainable, but this was a sign.

¨Ironically, one cheerleader was late getting out of the dance room and was not there when we released the balloons.  Barton told them about dove releases at funerals. Oftentimes, a dove is held back and released later to symbolize the person who passed away.  We told the cheerleader who was late that her balloon symbolized Ravenne. We don’t think it was a coincidence that she was late releasing her balloon.  It was a pretty amazing moment,¨ Hargrove said.

Before Ravenne Dodge´s passing, the color yellow was believed to be many things we thought it symbolized. Now if you were to ask anyone about the color yellow they would reminisce on past memories with Ravenne. The color does not stand for the same meaning anymore, it is recognition of a precious life we lost too soon.

¨Yellow is more than just a color to me after I´ve lost someone who embodied the color in every way they could. Yellow now represents the beautiful girl we lost too soon and reminds people of her bright and spirited soul. Every time we see the color yellow, Ravenne will be what first comes to mind. What was once ¨just a color on the spectrum¨, is now an emblem of ones life,¨ Cisneros said.