Bucaneer Press

Interact Takes the Lead to Be More Active

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pictured Left to Right: Kaitlyn Ennis, President (w/Prim) and Priscilla Guel, Historian

Contributed photo

Contributed photo

Contributed photo

Priscilla Guel, Staff Writer

Interact Club is going to be more active this year through newer officers and members who are more invested in the club than they have been in recent years, and plan on doing more service projects and volunteer activities while broadcasting the club more to the school.  

Interact is a volunteer club run mostly by the students, and does service projects and participates in volunteer activities. They haves meetings twice a month in room 156 E main campus. The club will have about two different projects every month. This month, the students are working on window covers as well as participating in Books for the World. And, even though the club had mostly been comprised of kids in Pre-Ap classes in the past, anybody can join the club.

Anyone who has a heart for helping others and community service is welcome,”club sponsor, Rachel Evanichy, said.

It has not always been as active as previously stated, however. They just recently getting more members who really have a passion for making a difference. In recent years, Interact has not been taken too seriously. It had just been a means for student to get NHS hours, or are looking to make themselves look better in their resumes. And, while that this is one part of the club, they are gaining a more diverse group of students who care about more than that.

“In the past [Interact] has been mainly comprised of upperclassmen who are looking to fluff up their resume for college.  Now there are quite a few members and officers who joined Interact while in Intermediate school, so working with underclassmen who have a heart for helping will be fun and being able to watch them grow in high school will be great,” Evanichy, said.

In the previous years, the club had not been very popular, nor as present as other clubs. Senior officer Caitlin Dobert believes that part of this is due to the fact that it’s not really one of the more well known clubs, like HOSA.

“I feel nobody knows about it because it is not one of the bigger clubs, but we need to get our name out more,” Dobert said.

Even if the club is not HOSA, it is known to have its own benefits. According to Evanichy, since they are sponsored by the Brazosport Rotary Club, students are able to work closely with them and are able to network with professionals in our community. There also seem to be many more merits of joining the club:

“Interact looks great on resumes and college applications. They also provide service hours, scholarships as well as grants,” club president, Kaitlyn Ennis said. “Even more, they send a foreign exchange student to somewhere they want to go every year!”

However, despite the seemingly large amount of merits, there has still be a large decline in attendance in recent years. Dobert believes that this is because of multiple factors, one being that many of the past officers were in band. As many know, this is a very time consuming extra curricular, which lead to it being “really tough to coordinate things well,” as she put it.

This is one reason why Dobert is glad that there are many new officers, especially ones that are not all in band. A good majority of this years officers are actually freshman. One would wonder why there would be so many new people in charge of a club, but they are not actually not new to Interact.

“Last year our Freshman officers were 8th grade officers at Clute Intermediate School’s Interact. It was a first year club, and we left the club with 50 members in the first year. BWoods Interact needed to be revamped, and a great way to do it is with new minds,” Ennis said.

The Interact club administrators have many different goals for this year regarding the revitalization of the club. One is, obviously, getting more members. Their objective is to have a hearty mix of 60 upper and lower classmen. The club is also aiming to develop the club more by having a more widespread advertisement range.

“We have Instagram, @brazoswoodinteract, and also we will spread posters around the school, as well as supply classes with Interact window covers!” Ennis said.