Bucaneer Press

Avoiding the Flu

Doctors say a second round of flu outbreaks is inevitable

Destiny Rodriguiz

The flu has become a worldspread disease killing up to 40,414 people in the third week of 2018, some deaths also caused by pneumonia. This years flu season was more intense than any since the 2009 swine flu pandemic and doctors say the second round is coming. It is now on track to equal or surpass that of the 2014-2015 flu season. In that year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates, 34 million Americans got the flu, 710,000 were hospitalized and about 56,000 died.

“The flu is very contagious all ages especially if you are immunocompromised , the very young and the very old even pregnant everyone should get the flu shot weather it helps or doesn’t everyone should get it” said Nurse Smith.
People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose.

To avoid this, people should stay away from sick people and stay home if sick. It also is important to wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub. Linens, eating utensils, and dishes belonging to those who are sick should not be shared without washing thoroughly first. Eating utensils can be washed either in a dishwasher or by hand with water and soap and do not need to be cleaned separately. Further, frequently touched surfaces should be cleaned and disinfected at home, work and school, especially if someone is ill.

“The best preventative for the flu is hand washing, hand washing, hand washing, if you can’t get to soap and water use hand sanitizer, don’t touch your face, don’t sneeze and touch others and again washing your hands is a big deal right now” Said Nurse James

Flu symptoms vary from person to person. In general, people who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms, according to the CDC: Fever or feeling feverish/chills (not everyone with flu will have fever), Cough, Sore throat, Runny or stuffy nose, Muscle or body aches, Headaches Fatigue (tiredness), Vomiting and diarrhea, although this is more common in children than adults

Most people who get the flu get better in several days to less than two weeks, but some people can develop serious complications caused by viral infection of the nasal passages and throat and lungs. Young children, adults ages 65 years and older, pregnant women, and people with certain chronic medical conditions are among those groups of people who are at high risk of serious flu complications, possibly requiring hospitalization and sometimes resulting in death

“Do not come to school if you have a fever stay home for at least 24 hours don’t come to school of you have any of the flu symptoms go see your doctor and if you do have the flu drink lots of liquids and washing hands, rest and stay home” said Nurse James

“Good hand washing, staying home if you are running fever and telling your friends to stay home if they might have some symptoms, don’t drink after anyone” said Nurse Nicholes

Making sure that you are always covering your mouth, washing your hands, staying home if you are running a fever or sick in anyway is very important. The deadly disease is still spreading and still getting worse so making sure that you are doing these things can help calm the spreading.