Bucaneer Press

HOSA Makes Trip to the Capital

Angela Hernandez, Staff Writer

The HOSA Area 2 chapter officers were able to participate in the HOSA National Leadership conference in Washington DC during September of 2017. The Officers and admins  who were able to participate this year were  Katherine Frederick,Seung Jang, Jaclyn Cantu, and Serena Martinez, Sara Ennis, Krystal Pena, and Michael WIlliams. They were able to travel to DC and participated in many different workshops to help them become better leaders for their chapter.

At the Conference, students all across the country were given the chance to meet and interact with state and local leaders and work together within and outside their groups.

“We played team-building games, practiced professionalism, collaborated in problem-solving scenarios, and went to Capitol HIll to lobby for the reauthorization of Carl D. Perkins Act, which increases funding to Career and Technical Education courses. Meeting with representatives allowed us to share our experiences as part of the organization and advocate for our chapter,” Jaclyn Cantu, HOSA Historian said.

They were able to participate in many different individual leadership activities and each admin made sure they participated. The conference not only made the officers a stronger group but stronger individuals.

“I believe that it brought the officers and admins closer together. The trip also gave us a greater appreciation for our future professions and eltn us the tools we can use to help our chapter, such as a team building exercises and organizational and communication skills,” Katherine Frederick, HOSA President said.

They were also able to meet Senator Ted Cruz during the Washington Conference. Shortly after meeting Senator Cruz they were also able to meet other representatives from the Carl D. Vocational and Technical Education.  

“Attending the Washington Leadership Academy was an incredible opportunity, ” Cantu said.

For the second year in a row the WLA has lit a fire in the hearts of our HOSA officers. They came back with more passion and confidence that I could ever imagined” said Sara Ennis Brazoswood HOSA Sponsor.

About the Writer
Angela Hernandez, Editor In Chief
Humble, with just a hint of Kanye. My name is Angela Hernandez. I love expressing my inner thoughts and opinions on different subjects. So then I enjoy writing for the school paper, because it not only gives me a chance to express myself but I am able to speak for the students.  Feel free to...