Bucaneer Press

Brazosport ISD Implements Standard Response Protocol

In an effort to better prepare students and staff for potential crisis events, BISD has implemented a new standard response protocol this school year. This protocol simplifies response options for students and staff, increasing confidence and clarity of what to do in the event of an emergency.

Over the summer, district and campus staff received safety training that includes four key actions to be taken during a critical incident: Lockout, Lockdown, Evacuate, and Shelter. The training also provided information about the planned process for student reunification with families following an incident. Students will receive this training as well, once school is in session.

“Our campuses have always had and will continue to have drills and practices to better prepare students and staff for a potential crisis.” said BISD Superintendent Danny Massey. “This training provides simple and specific actions for students and staff to ensure everyone is prepared.”

In addition to implementing a new standard response protocol, the district has implemented a multitude of other security measures. These measures include the addition of 10 more police officers, raising the total police force to 20 officers. BISD police officers have also increased partnerships with other local law enforcement agencies to further increase police presence at campuses. Over 600 security cameras have been installed, raising the total number of cameras to over 1,000 and trained security personnel have been hired to proactively monitor them. Security fencing is being added to provide perimeter protection, vestibules and outside door buzz-in systems have been added, and random checks utilizing metal detectors will take place. In addition, additional programs are being put in place to ensure students have access mentoring and support services, should they need them. Reporting methods have also been streamlined, making it easier for students, parents, or anyone in the community to alert our staff when they feel there may be a threat to the safety of our students.