Bucaneer Press

Tide Pods

Sofia Milan

As we begin this year, 2018, there has been another ridiculous ‘joke’ being the “Tide pod challenge”. The “Tide pod challenge” was shown and most likely started on social media. What they do is put a Tide pod package in their mouth and spit it out after they realize it tastes really bad, or in some cases, swallow it.

Image result for tide pods

There has been at least 37 reported cases of teens consuming a Tide pod and being hospitalized (so far). Both children and teens are exposed to several potential problems from the detergent packets; aspirating on the liquid being inhaled into the lungs, or becoming ill by ingesting it, experiencing a change in blood pressure and heart rate, losing consciousness or having seizures. “Our laundry pacs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes, and they’re used safely in millions of households every day,” the Tide company said in a statement. “They should be only used to clean clothes and kept up, closed and away from children. They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance is, even if it is meant as a joke.” 

This “challenge” has been performed by mostly adolescents, teens. There is no real reason behind as to why people would even do this. Perhaps peer pressure is the influence of this. May it be the views, or the new ‘cool’ thing to do stupid harmful things, whatever is behind why they do it, in the end it’s harmful to the person and shouldn’t be done.